[Adapt these steps for your situation.]
I. Warm up with Bible reflection on Ephesians 4:1-7, 11-12.
II, Pass out this worksheet for completion at home. Worksheet 1 for ambassadors / ministers / missionaries.
- What are some of the basics of my faith? What have I come to believe as a Christian and what do I trust to be true?
a. How did I learn or discover these basics of my faith?
b. How did I learn to connect them with daily life?
- What are some of the basics of my ethics?
a. How do I make decisions and live as a Christian?
b. How did I learn these basics of my ethics?
c. How did I learn to connect them with daily life?
- What are my current ministries or mission? Brief description of what I am doing right now in each one to make life there more loving and / or more just.
c. Local community
d. Wider world (society, culture, economics, government)
f. Spiritual health
g. Church life and outreach
III. Gather to share responses to the worksheet. At the end of the session, pass out this worksheet. Each chooses his or her most important are area of ministry or mission for reflection. Choose one from home, work, local community, wider world (society, culture, economics,government), leisure, spiritual health, or church life and outreach.
To discern my present ministry or mission.
- What has God been telling me or doing through my life in this
- What am I working on right now in this mission field?
b. What has been going on that leads me to be working on that project or need?
- What conditions are inhibiting love (caring), justice (fairness) or peace (reconciliation) in this mission field?
- What change is needed to increase love, justice, and reconciliation in this mission field?
- What will I do to achieve this change considering my gifts, limitations, and convictions?
- How will I draw others into working with me for this change?
- How will I talk of God while working with others on it?
- How will I invite others to join me in Christian fellowship so that together we may hear the Word of God and receive the Sacraments of the church in order to be fed and empowered for ministry / mission?
- Gather to share responses. At the close, each prays for the ministry / mission of the person on the right.
[Adapted from the work of The Rev. William D. Roberts, Deerfield, IL]